blank'/> EyreLand: Playing Catch-Up: Autumn Dreams

8.04.2014

Playing Catch-Up: Autumn Dreams

Although it has been over 6 months since I last blogged here, I have to say, it feels good to be back. Writing a blog via emails as a missionary was fine, but it just not quite the same as being able to do it myself and add my own layout touches and such.
So it's been awhile (obviously), so I am going to just write retrospectively here for about two of the longest posts this blog has ever seen, followed by a post that will actually document things that have been happening currently/ recently. Enjoy!

October was a crazy month in 2013. After a summer of wonderful days spent at the lake and hiking around the valley with the ever adorable Avery, it was good to move into the fall. Autumn is my favorite season. Hands down. As an active and outdoorsy person, that is sometimes hard for me to admit. I love summer because I love water skiing, wake surfing, hiking, trail running, camping, climbing outside, and the other endless amounts of activities that the hot summer months have to offer. I also love winter because as a certified ski instructor, I simply love being on the mountain in the freezing air with snow all around and the chance to defy gravity as I fly in complete control down a giant slope. However, despite the lack of exhilarating activities that the months of October and November have to offer, they simply are my favorite months.
I think the reason I love fall, is because despite the way I grew up, I am, at heart, someone who is often completely overpowered by my romanticized ideas of life; and autumn is my imagination's wonderland. The contrasting colors, the beauty of the world in organized decay, the crisp smell and feel of the cooling air, and of course the fact that pumpkins and apples (two of my absolute favorite foods) seem to appear everywhere overnight are just some of the things that make me think all of my movie-like ideas for my life seem possible. Every year when the end of September rolls around, I suddenly start to feel like anything is possible. I break out my fashion sense with the opportunity to use my favorite clothing items like cute jackets, boots, and scarves, without the worry that they might be ruined by the salt residue that inevitably accompanies the snow of mid-December through March. I drink rich and succulent cups of herbal tea as if is the only thing sustaining my body on a daily basis, and I take any chance I can get to curl up by a fire with a good book and get lost in a world completely apart from my own. Then, with the combination of all of these, my favorite things, my mind begins to run wild with dreams of my future and all the possibilities that lay before me in life.
October and November this last year were no exception to this trend of autumn imaginings. After filling out and submitting my mission papers, the prospect of not having a full time job and having two months of freedom in preparation for my mission, I started to think that almost anything could happen; and some very wonderful things did indeed happen.
After 4 wonderful months together, my time nannying Avery came to an end. I was sad to see her go, but I think our last days together, playing in the leaves at the park and dancing in the rain, could not have been more picture perfect.



The fact that I got to keep driving the beautiful beast (aka. the Porsche Cayenne Turbo) even after my job was over, just made the month of October that much sweeter. I am forever thankful to my dad's friend, Tao, for entrusting me with this beautiful piece of horse-powered machinery. It certainly drained my bank account because of the gas mileage, and the fact that it preferred to eat premium gasoline rather than regular, but I think the experience of having a Porsche was totally worth it.


One of the best parts of October was getting together with all of my Eyre cousins (minus Aaron) to celebrate the life of my beautiful Grandmother Ruthie. Ruth Eyre was perhaps one of the world's most sincere people and she made so many amazing accomplishments in her life that saying goodbye to her really was more of a celebration than a mourning. As the founder of the well known Joy-School program, a mother of four amazing sons and one wonderful daughter, Ruthie made the world a better place by helping others recognize the importance of teaching children to be good, value-based people. Her legacy will live on through her 22 grandchildren, all of whom are truly wonderful and passionate people.


Many days in October and into November were spent by exploring the beauty of Utah. Going up to snowbird to take in some views of the first snowfall, hanging out at Temple Square concerts with close friends, climbing at Momentum, and spending weekends at the ever gorgeous Bear Lake. 





Once Thanksgiving rolled around at the end of November, Howie and I gained a great appreciation for holidays with the family by having to experience Thanksgiving alone together. My mom and Don headed out to Jackson Hole for their own little holiday getaway, and with all of our other siblings spending time with their in-laws, Howie and I were left to get creative with our holiday celebrations. It turns out, in Utah at least, Indian restaurants are about the only restaurants open on Thanksgiving. Left with no other options, Howie and I enjoyed a very non-traditional Thanksgiving and loved every curry-filled minute of it!


I should also not fail to mention that it was at the beginning of October that I received my mission call to Ecuador. It was an exciting and stressful fall, but definitely one of the most memorable I've had in my 23 years of life.


2013 gave me an autumn season full of surprises. I got to enjoy every flavorful, crisp air filled, color changing minute of it full of dreams for what the future might hold for me. Then suddenly, it moved into December and my short lived winter offered even more dreams and adventures than I could have thought.

No comments: