blank'/> EyreLand: Pitter Patter: Thoughts on Running as I prepare for my 3rd Half-Marathon

8.18.2014

Pitter Patter: Thoughts on Running as I prepare for my 3rd Half-Marathon

Running is just something that I do.
I am not crazy fast (unless sprinting a mile or less-- preferably less), and I do not by any means have the best endurance. I have never run more than 14 miles at one time and although I do hope to run at least one full marathon in my lifetime, I haven't worked up the will-power to do so... yet. Running is something that I do because I genuinely enjoy it. It is good exercise, of course, but in my world, there are a lot of things I could do and often choose to do besides running that are good exercise as well. Running to me isn't so much about the exercise part though. Although it is most certainly (especially when doing long distance runs) a strenuous physical activity, it is more about the mental side of things for me.
Anyone who has run more than about five miles will probably agree. A lot of what gets a person to run, and to keep running, is their mental ability to overcome thoughts of defeat, exhaustion, physical pains and aches, and the desire to just slow down and walk. Maybe it doesn't sound so hard, but as a person who, once upon a time, believed it was impossible to run more than two miles, I can definitely say that mental strength is at least half of the battle with running; maybe more.
I usually choose to run in the morning. I think my brain works better in the morning. When the air is crisp from a long desert night, and hardly anyone else is awake, it somehow becomes easier for my brain to overcome the negative thoughts that come along when trying to push my body to new limits. With just the sound of my feet lightly hitting the pavement one after the other, I find a pleasant rhythm that seems to put every part of my body into sync and before I know it, my brain is busy thinking through daily emotions and life problems while my body continues forward; almost as if propelled by the turning wheels in my head. In this way, I think running keeps me sane. Running gives my body the time it needs to reset itself and make sure all the different muscles, nerves, joints, etc. are still working together to keep me alive and functioning; it gives me the time I need to think, about everything that I spend my normal hours trying to ignore; it gives me a sense of accomplishment and strength; it makes me feel bold and outgoing; but most of all, it makes me feel like I am in control of my body and my life, which makes me happy.
This coming Saturday, I get to reassert my control with a 13.1 mile run surrounded by hundreds of other people who likely feel the same way I do about running. Although I don't typically like to run with tons of people all around me, there is something beautiful about so many individuals coming together and performing the same activity, mostly for the same purpose; especially when it is an activity not so easily accomplished. It may not be a Full-Marathon, but a Half-Marathon is no small feat; it takes just as much dedication, mental and physical strength, and will-power. Doing a Half-Marathon at the end of summer is something that I have begun to look forward to every year. It feels like the best way possible to bring a summer full of activity to a close and positively welcome the challenge of continuing to exercise and be active throughout the cold winter months.
I know that running isn't necessarily for everyone; but there was a time in my life when I thought that it wasn't for me, and now, looking back, I can't believe I didn't realize how beautiful something so simple and natural could be. I wish I had realized it sooner because that might mean that I would have already run a Full-Marathon and overcome a whole new level of mental and physical limits. I encourage anyone who is has a desire, or even a small interest in running to give it a try; it might turn out to be really worth it. Just remember, it will always be difficult for both the mind and the body, but the rewards will come; just keep putting one foot down in front of the other and let your body and mind find a rhythm to drive you forward.


No comments: